Thursday, November 29, 2012

Cranberry Relish


Thanksgiving.  To be honest, I'm not a big fan of turkey...or stuffing...or gravy.  This doesn't mean I won't ever eat them, I just don't because I have other food items to look forward to on Thanksgiving.  Plus, I believe they taste better.

  Mashed potatoes, corn pudding, green bean casserole, and pumpkin pie are what I lean towards eating.  Also, I can't forget cranberry relish.


Cranberries.  Apples.  Oranges.  Apricots.  Raisins. A touch of cinnamon.  Sugar.  Pecans.

It's perfect.


This recipe is from my Grandmother and was passed to my Mother, and now to me.  I hope you put this in your menu for next year.  You won't regret it.

Cranberry Relish
Makes about 3 1/2 cups

3 cups or 12 ounces fresh, whole cranberries, rinsed and picked over
1 whole orange, quartered and seeded
1 tart apple, quartered and cored
2/3 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup dried apricots
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Coarsely grind cranberries, orange, and apple.  Stir in sugar, salt, and cinnamon.  Set aside.

Cook raisins and apricots in 1/2 cup water over medium heat until raisins are plump, for about 5-10 minutes.  Drain the water.

Stir in raisins, apricots and pecans into the relish.  Refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to be merry.


I hope you relish this relish as much as I do.

Take joy in!
~Victoria    











No comments:

Post a Comment